The Purple mattress is made of a variety of different materials.
The company describes the materials of the Original Purple mattress as the following:
- “Sleep Surface: 2″ GelFlex™ material in the Purple Grid Nontoxic polyethylene copolymer powder coating
- Middle Layer: 3.5” 1.8 lbs density polyurethane foam – Certified by CertiPUR-US®
- Base Layer: 4” 2.0 lbs density polyurethane foam – Certified by CertiPUR-US
- Fire Resistant: Nontoxic Knit Barrier (not chemically treated)
- SoftFlex Cover: White Fabric Content: Knit Fabric: 29% Viscose, 67% Polyester, 4% Lycra (all +/- 5%) Weight: 450 g/m2 (+/- 10%)
- Nonslip Bottom: 100% Polyester stitchbond with non-FR coating”
The company recommends spot-cleaning the mattress as needed, rather than washing/drying any part of the mattress. And the mattress does not contain any latex, which may be an important detail for those allergic to latex.
The top layer is the company’s proprietary technology—the digitally viral purple grid. This is the primary material that sets it apart from the rest of the mattresses on the market. These 2-4 inches of grid is the only thing that sets this mattress apart from the other mattresses on the market. As you can see from the other materials on the list, there are standard foams for the Middle and Base layers, as well as the knit barrier, cover and polyester non-slip bottom. Not every mattress contains each of these, but they are not unique in and of themselves.
The company is built on the Hyper-Elastic Polymer technology founders Terry Pearce and Tony Pearce created in the late 1990’s. Originally, the material was created for hospital beds, shoe insoles and wheelchairs. However, the brothers created a machine to create sheets of the Purple Grid™ technology at a larger scale called the Mattress Max. This machine enabled them to build the Purple mattress brand and turn the technology into a mattress company. This technology is different from memory foam, latex and gel memory foam.
The company’s products and manufacturing utilize about 16 unique patents.
The original Purple mattress is made with the FlexGrid materials on top of high-density foam. The Purple Hybrid Mattress also contains the FlexGrid, but instead of only high-density foam, it sits atop what they call Responsive Support Coils, or springs. This is a variation of a regular hybrid mattress, which are usually composed of some kind of latex or foam with coils. The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress is similar to the hybrid, but with an extra inch or two of FlexGrid materials to make it more supportive. This grid also sits atop coils.
How the Purple Mattress compares to the Beyosa mattress
Beyosa is a mattress-in-a-box brand helping elevate couples’ expectations of their new mattress. Most couples prefer different levels of firmness for their mattress, and with Beyosa they no longer have to compromise on it. Beyosa is on a mission to help couples customize rather than compromise on their mattress.
- The first layer, the outer cover, protects the top of the mattress. It is easy to take off the cover and pop it in the washer to maintain its freshness.
- The second layer is a strategically-designed layer of open-cell foam. It is designed to promote airflow throughout the mattress.
- The next layer of foam offers a more structural piece to the mattress as the transitional layer from comfort to support, while maintaining just the right amount of cushion.
- Beneath this, you find the layer of pocket coils, adjusted to your preferred level of firmness on both sides. Bed partners can choose between plush, medium and firm on both sides of the bed, then we hand-assemble the mattress to your order. You can unzip the top cover and fold it back to see this layer of support or swap out coils for a different level of firmness.
- Finally, the bottom layer is a strong foam layer built to encase the pocket coils and create strong edge support you can feel.
The foams used in both the Beyosa and Purple mattresses are certified by Certi-PUR-US®. This is a regulatory agency helping consumers know whether the materials used in their bed are healthy for their wellbeing. This helps to ensure that the bed not only promotes health through sleep, but also by creating a clean and safe health environment.
Purple and Beyosa both offer innovative solutions for sleep, but only Beyosa offers a level of individual customization for firmness and cooling on both sides of the bed.
Build your Beyosa bed here.